Friday, May 16, 2014

It involves a boat and two guys ...

An opportunity has come my way, and it's too exciting to pass up. How can I explain this logically?

I can't. It involves a boat and an invitation to move it from San Diego to Seattle. That's  1300+ nautical miles ...

This particular yacht is not just any old boat, but the very Stephens yacht crafted in Stockton 52 years ago for Jay Gould III and his family (see below):


Some of my discriminating readers may prefer literature; others just want to get on with it and see some pictures. So here is the boat as it looks today (May 2015):


The boat is shown here on a mooring in Avalon Harbor, Catalina Island, California.


Would you like a glance at the controls? 


Maybe you are thinking that I bought this boat. No, I did not. Rest assured on that point.

My pal Gary sold it to his nephew Jim, and we are taking the boat to Seattle, next week. Although I fantasize about sitting in back and napping most of the time, I suspect it will be a lot of work and excitement.


We have to cover those 1300 Nautical Miles at 9-ish knots per hour. That means 1400 road miles at 10 miles per hour. Or 140 cruising hours plus downtime. And we have lots of things to dodge besides whales:


This blog will chronicle our trip. Check back for more details as they happen. Subscribe if you want it to come to you automatically.


Cheers,

Cazalea

1 comment:

  1. Hey, still a fun story! Pic anchored at Avalon you took in 2013, I believe. Jim

    ReplyDelete