Friday, July 24, 2015

Why Beach Boy?

I said in my previous post that the appeal of Buying a boat triggered an existential crisis.

I have owned at least 7 kayaks, a Zodiac inflatable, and had free access to my family's ski boat and my pal's jet ski. I've been on the water a few hundred times in the past 10 years. But these experiences don't necessarily make me a boat lover. 

Beach Boy appealed to me. It's a 32 x 10.5 x 12 foot fantasy space into which one can fall - a black hole of freedom - escaping from other pressing matters:

"Honey, I'll be down at the boat"

"Sorry, I was offshore; didn't get the call"

"Why yes, I did order "a few things for the boat" late last night and no, our credit card wasn't stolen!"

But I digress. 

The Appeal

Beach Boy, a 43-yr-old, diesel-powered, wood-hulled, aquatic tractor. Handsome. Rugged. Dirty fingernails. No hair pomade. Flannel shirt. 



I know it's a bit rough. It looks tough. It's sturdy - meant for hard work. It's much like a black Jeepster Commando I owned for many years. It's a pickup truck on the water. See the cargo bed?


To be truthful, that's a Photoshop fantasy of its cargo area. The reality is more like this:


With a few thousand pounds of stuff needing to be removed, cleaned and sorted.

Imagine the sheer irrationality of owning an old wooden boat that might be useful AND has a pedigree (its creator was marine architect Bill Garden) AND is of reasonable size AND inexpensive (to buy). 

Uncle Gary likes it, saying: "What will you end up with? A classic William Garden-designed character yacht that no one else has. Built by the best boatyard in Canada. Features:  Flying Bridge (everyone wants one)  Dependable Cat diesel.  Twin dry SS exhausts (bet they sound great).  A third control station (very, very cool)  A large cockpit (I would do a full cover like Jason)  Classic lines.  Listed in the BG book with original name.  Chicks will love it!"


Objections?
  • It's in Canada. 
  • The engine has 3800 hours on it. 
  • Top speed is 8-9 knots. 
  • It weighs 8-9 tons. 
  • Shipping it to San Diego adds 50% to the purchase price. 
  • The bunks are cramped. 
  • No stove, no microwave, no shower, no hot water, no working electronics, no (you name it)

The Dilemma
To buy or not to buy. 

I can tell my readers are already divided into two camps:

Pro: Go On, you can afford it. You only live once. You're retired, go for it. 

Con: Walk away - no, run away as fast and as far as you can. 

So I got to Seattle, dithered for a day, then called Ian, Beach Boy's owner to arrange for a visit. 

He's 64, 5' 6", from Coventry, England. We had already talked twice, for about an hour, discussing all the details of this boat. This time we talked for 30 minutes. He told me all the reasons I shouldn't buy this boat. He concluded with this zinger:

"I think I already have a buyer. He's got some govt research money. He needs a stout wooden boat to go offshore, shut off the engine, throw out a marine microphone and listen for whales during their southward migration."

Hallelujah! The whales will be researched. Ian will sell the boat. I have narrowly averted (as they say) having to make this decision myself. And the question "Should I buy a boat?" can still be faced another day. 

I like this one ...




This looks like a Lotus Esprit on the water. 


Now this is what I'd really like ...


But realistically, this Bayliner might do:



2 comments:

  1. I looked at Beach Boy. I moored my boat across from her in Burrard Civic Marina. I was also speaking with Ian as I missed buying this boat when the original owners family sold it. I think Ian's price was way out considering he apparently stole it for about $5,000 originally. I am guessing she was sold as it disappeared off craiglist after about a month. Doubt that a research group bought, waaaay too much liability and not great for offshore. Glad to know we share the same great taste in boats! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The boat was removed from sale because I continued to use it. Many tows and jobs later, its still going strong. Its a great work boat, and it's for sale again at $9500 CAD. Will it sell? Who knows? If not I will keep it and continue to use it as a work boat/towboat/tool crib/lunch room/office etc. Actually its not bad 'offshore', having been across the Strait in very rough weather a couple of times. It also has a stove and some working electronics, but what does a person need more than a GPS iPad (the cellular version) with Navionics on it?

    Posted by Ian, still the owner of the Beach Boy....

    ReplyDelete