Thursday, July 17, 2014

Morro Bay to Bodega Bay Part 2

Yachting is all sweetness and light. Right?  No. 

It's not all sun and gin  (I mean fun) on a yacht. Sometimes it's a drag.


For example, in Bodega Bay I am sharing my bunk-bedded stateroom with our shore crewperson. My wife. 

And before that I had to cook dinner:


Crackers, salami, cheese; Pasta with heirloom tomatoes and bacon; White Sea bass and steamed & buttered mini red potatoes, washed down with a Hess Central Coast Pinot Noir. 

Before dinner I got to crawl into the flying bridge and rebuild one of the steering system pulleys , so our autopilot would work again. 


While Jim was buying 346 gallons of diesel (you do the math) from Cletus, who said (and I quote) "I'm so glad I work for the County where there's no time pressures or need to do anything in a rush, unlike the private sector".


Jim and I nearly choked but we needed the fuel, so we kept quiet. 

And before the fuel dock episode, Jim nearly forced me to take pictures of odd jellyfish and other marine mysteries. 


The things we see really are amazing!


Like the whales and birds. 



And scenery like the Golden Gate Bridge,



and lighthouses perched on inaccessible cliffs!


So is yachting fun or incredibly exhausting work? I dunno. You dezide zzz ... We're going to sleep at 8:30


1 comment:

  1. We saw you folks briefly in Newport; hope you enjoy our old stomping grounds.
    We're bound for Bodega Bay tomorrow.

    crew of SV Slappey II

    ReplyDelete